Friday, May 22, 2009

Amelie - 01

I was in Kuantan earlier today.

I have been eying at this little French thing for a few weeks now. Like when I used to restore old furniture before, I have eyes on these sort of things. Other people might see it as a piece of junk by the road side.

I talked to my Aussie partners the other nite, they both laughed at me. Fair enough! They even called it a Renault. (Duh!)


I don't see it as a junk.

I can already see what it's going to look like once restoration is completed.


I don't know much about the car yet.

I met the owner but didn't as too many questions because the basic questions were already asked and answered. I didn't want to talk more, afraid he might change his mind.

Based on what I learned from restoring the Fiat, I have a good idea how to judge this car, whether it is worth restoring.



the Peugeot emblem - original, perfect condition. Not easy to get small parts like this.


A bit of rust in the bonnet. Quite a major problem, I think but reparable. The car has been under the rain and shine for years. I think I can get the bodyh work done. It's major but certainly not impossible.

Again, the little details are still in good condition. Re-chroming will bring its shine back.


Even though the car has not been running for years, all the parts are there. It was conforting to know that the owner (who I spoke to) is a mechanic. I think the engine is still in good condition.



Again, major rust require major body work. How ever, the window frames are still intact and all the windows are not broken. Relatively good since I don't have to hunt for too many spare parts.


The boot. Looks ok but the fact that it's wet, scared the shit out of me. Rust is like cancer on old cars. You can only know the truth once you scrape the paint job. They tend to be a series of surprises but if it is not beyond repair, the body shop can gladly do it.


I learned from David, one of the most difficult replacement parts to get is the seats. Typically, seats will go first over the years and car owners change them to Japanese seats which easily available from Kedai Kereta Potong.

I am lucky! The seats are still ok. In fact the original covers are still there but I am not sure of the condition. I dare ot touch s it was a bit dusty and it was a hot day.



They look alright to me.


The dashboard is good. All the instrumentations are still there. The floor, however, looks a bit scary.


I like the details. Classic.
This is not just a Peugeot 204, it 204S. Like a sport edition.


When I was small, I used to collect matchbox miniature cars. I love them. I had fleets of them. And one of them was this car. I still remember. At that time I didn't even know how to pronounce the French name.


I saw a convertible 204 quite sometime ago driven by a Mat Salleh lady in Damansara Heights. She must be French. I love it - a cabriolet!


The hubcaps, all 4, are still there. Not easy to get the spares!


Look closely. Got pokok tumbuh through the engine.


I told you!!! Got pokok!

Despite what ever, I have managed to convince the owner to sell to me. He is ok.

I spoke to David (several times) today and he's going to accept the challenge.

Could this be another fun project?

I certainly hope so.

Meanwhile, I shall do some research.

Wish me luck!

The Peugeot 204 is a small family car produced by the French manufacturer Peugeot between 1965 and 1976.


The 204, known in development as Project D12, was available in many body styles including a sedan/saloon/berline, convertible/cabriolet, coupe, estate/wagon, and a van. It was launched in Paris, France on April 23, 1965 and became the best-selling car in France from 1969 to 1971.

Engine

The 204 used a front-wheel drive layout and was launched with a single overhead cam 1130 cc gasoline engine (the maximum allowed for the 6CV 'car tax' class in France). In September 1975, less than a year before production ceased, it received a more modern petrol engine, now of 1127 cc. Claimed maximum output, which at launch had been 53 bhp (39 kW), increased to 59 bhp (43 kW), though there was a marginal reduction in maximum torque.


2 comments:

Miss BumbleBee said...

cant wait for another 'love story'.


:).

shemeq said...

Ms Bee:

I seriously hope so.

Will try my best.