Friday, April 11, 2008

So, You Want To Ride?


In response to "Anonymous" in Bike Buddies post:

I am not an authority in cycling but I can share with you my experience....

The most important thing is to develop an adequate fitness level first before you even think to jump into this sports. We are not talking commuting from point A to point B enroute flat terrain here! Without basic fitness level, I can assure you, you will hate the sports. You might just puke before reaching the summit of Genting Sempah. Not forgetting your bunch of friends are already on top of the hill and will make fun of you in their blogs on Monday.



A fair benchmark - if you can run about 2.5km in 30 minutes, then you are set to the next step: to get your ass accustomed to being on the saddle for a couple of hours - trust me, it's painful until you get used to it (unless you are a sadiest or fetish).

What bike to get?

Hold your horses!

Considering you are going to dent your wallet quite significantly by purchasing a good bike (I would not recommend anything less), please make sure you will enjoy cycling.

I borrowed my friend's Gary Fisher - Kaitai. It's a mountain bike and I love the frame. I love it so much, I bought it from him for RM1000. It's a cheap entry if you compare to diving! But then, after a while I got myself into trouble - I was a bike shop junkie and an upgrade addict and before I know it, I was no longer a monogamous. I now own several bikes and space is a constraint at home!



Oh well, one of my bike buddies once said to his wife when the wife got to know the cost of his bike(s):

Hey, at least it is cheaper than a coronary bypass!

(He obviously lied. If you add up the amount of money he spent on his bikes to date - a sports car is cheaper!)

So, Anonymous, if you are already fit and cute (hehehe), call me! Let me measure your inseam (for bike fit lah!) and take you to the bike shop ;-)

*pic: my Gary Fisher Super Calibre in Paris - a couple of days before exploring La vallée de la Loire with one of my best friends NS.

No comments: