Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Fantastic 5

I am not going into numbers and details. Sorry to disappoint you car buffs out there.

Auto Bavaria was kind enough to loan me one of their 5 series for the long Merdeka weekend. Yeah! Like I can afford such an expensive piece of - Precision Crafted Performance - driving machine. But hey, a free ride over the long weekend, I'd be crazy to say no to such an offer.



I decided to take a spin to Melaka. I have not been to Melaka for a long time. I used to go there quite regularly to hunt for antiques. Jonkers Street (now, Jonkers Walk) to my disappointment is still the same.

Back to the 5.

Typical BMW - driver's car. It's a pleasure to drive and very easy to get accustomed to not only the handling, but also all the gadgets which has been minimalistically designed and so easy to understand. Even my 8 year old nephew got used to the I-Drive (On Board Computer) within minutes. The operational logic is very MAC / IPOD like.



It was raining and the sky was rather dark. With rain sensor and automatic driving lights control, the windsheild wiper and the lights got into their operational mode automatically. I didn't have to do anything but just concetrate on the pleasurable drive.



Like other recent BMW models, it is equipped with run flat technology tyres - I can continue travelling even when tyres are totally deflated. Current models of BMWs - spare tyres are NOT included.

But, there were several times when I made sudden maneuvers, the on board computer warned me with an exclamation mark: "Please Drive Moderately!" - Hey, does it come with a back seat driver named KL? I thought....

Diesel engines are less powerful compared to their petrol fuelled siblings, I thought. I was wrong. The torque was so great and I could feel mild G-Force when I stepped on the accelerator to overtake a C-Class on the North South Highway. It just sailed, fast, like power on demand whenever you need it.... I actually touched 200km/h on the speedo for a few seconds and the car was just stable and I felt very confident.



While waiting for my siblings for my brother's birthday dinner, I parked the car in the dark only with the dim lights on. Seriously, it looked like a black monster lurking in the dark. My sister went "it looks garang (fierce)!"

With all the latest technolgy equipped in the car like the auto rain sensor, electoronic windsheild wiper, runflat tyre technology, autolight sensor, all you have to do is just... DRIVE! Everything else is taken care of by the car.

Despite all the gadgets, I was in total control of the car. I like!



2 minus points though, both because it's a diesel model:

ONE: The diesel engine sounds like one of those old Mercedes taxis in Cameron Highland. But the good thing is from the inside, you cannot hear anything!

TWO: When I filled up at the gas station, the pump (and floor) was filthy! I would carry a glove. And those oily floors - they are not the most friendliest material to your Italian rubber sole.





It's Sheer Driving Pleasure - like what the advert claims.

It's a motivation to work harder.

One day, I hope............

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...we have to work double hard la...i think i have to take on 3 external consultancy jobs kot on top of my full time job! Pengsan I! Jom beli lottery lah :P

Anonymous said...

glad i got to ride in it too ... a real pleasure ...

though i think my level of 'orgasm' was not as high as yours ... ha ha ...

;-D

StaRshOOter said...

orgasmic kan! hehehe...My dream caR!

shemeq said...

nisa: i tried before, tapi tak kena. so, no choice but to work HARD!

red planet: sooo true..

starshooter: Yeah, The Ultimate Driving Machine