Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I hope things will be better


The news for the past few days highlighted the uprising of monks in Myanmar. The people are demanding for democracy.

If the current junta goverment succumbs to the demand, Myanmar is going to change. The economy is going to be more open and foreign investments will, naturally come in to exploit the rich minerals in the country. Globalization will move in and tourism will flourish.

Democracy will be good to the people of Myanmar but the country will not be the same, again. Capitalism will eventually creep in and commercialization will take place.

In a way I am glad I went to Myanmar before all these potential changes take place.

It is more interesting, to me, to explore a country before tourism arrives......

4 comments:

Unknown said...

nice pic

shemeq said...

pretty:
I shot this when I visited an ancient monastery in an old city.
i will post something about this monastery, soon.

Anonymous said...

Democracy is over-rated and doesn't work in this part of the world. Another form of American imperialism.


Viva la Castro!





Ops wait.. I have american employers since god knows.

Unknown said...

really...i can see that the robes worn by the thai monks are a bit different that the monks in this pic.

but yup love the pics...

envy their way of acceptance for simplicity.

i wish!