Thursday, September 13, 2007

My Terengganu

I am at the airport, Kuala Terengganu. The usual one day fly in – fly out trip.

Bloody MAS flight is delayed again for 30 minutes.



EARLIER TODAY

After my meeting with the state officials, TITS offered to take me out for lunch, venue of my choice.

The small restaurant, very local called Bijai. Authentic Terengganu. No aircond, just fans. It was such a hot day. Well worth it as the kepala ikan merah, ulam, daging singgang, budu with tempoyak and ikan panggang were delicious. I pigged out (what’s new?) – like there is no more lunch for the next 30 days…. There is no more lunch for the next 30 days….




Since I squeezed all appointments before lunch, I have all the time to spend the whole afternoon at Pura Tanjung Sabtu before catching my flight back in the late afternoon.

On the way to Pura, I stopped by a little grocer by the road side, run and owned by an old Chinese lady. While waiting for my turn to pay for a pack of Sampoerna Mentol Mild, I overhead the conversations between the shopkeeper and her customers in pure Terengganu dialect from both sides of the counter.




Both sides were complaining about the price of kacang (peanuts) has increased quite substantially. It is not easy to sell anymore as people stop buying.

The same thing with jagung (corn) for chicken feed. Some people have stopped raring chicken because the business is hardly viable. I could see the frustration on their faces while in my heart start cursing the government.




The amazing thing was once the money and the good changed hands between the two ladies of different races and religions, they actually performed the “akad” to each other.

Malay lady: Saya beli ya. (I hereby purchase the goods as per the agreed price)

Chinese lady: Saya jual ya. (And I hereby sell the goods as per the agreed price)


(Akad is a verbal sale and purchase contract to finalize a deal according to Islamic commercial law)




A FEW DAYS AGO

There was a political riot in Kuala Terengganu. There were gunshots and people were injured and vandalism was rampant. The fundamental issue here is the disagreement between two political parties which are predominantly Malay.




And today I encountered a close-knit community between the Malays and the Chinese just minutes away from ground zero.

I have been doing quite a bit of research especially on the Terengganu Chinese community, their culture and heritage which go back to Laxaman Cheng Ho. The interrelated fabrics of both culture have been in harmony for hundreds of years. I have come to conclusion that the politicians are the culprits who polarize the community at the expense of the integration of the population.

Manipulative for their very own selfish political gain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ayooo...the ulam ulam looks yum! he!he!he!