Friday, September 28, 2007

Quest for knowledge

People of Myanmar are not only friendly, they like knowledge. I was told, there were prominent intelects from Myanmar during its heyday. There was one street I went to with endless rows of "bookstores", their very own version of Kinokuniya and Borders. All are old books yet highly sought after.

I remember, the taxi driver who drove me around Yangon actually had a Master Degree in Sociology. From the conversation I had, it's quite obvious the guy was highly educated.



Even telephone lines are hard to come by. Internet connections are ultimate luxuries. I can easily say, they are just like Malaysia in 1960's.



Can you imagine being a citizen of a country and you do not even know what's going on domestically?

But then again, what's the point of having unlimited choice of media in any country if all you see are just government propaganda? (And I am NOT talking about just Myanmar, strictly.)

No comments: