Monday, June 08, 2009

Bella Italiana - 05

Early Sunday morning I was already in Torino Auto in Ulu Kelang, couldn't wait to see the shipment delivered yesterday from Gopeng, Perak.

The guard looked at me "semacam" - like - are you nuts? It's Sunday, it's early and the workshop doesn't open today.

Did I care? - NOPE!

After I explained to them that I am the owner of the old car delivered on a truck yesterday.

The guard went: Oh, kereta yang terbakar tu ya. (oh, the car that caught fire?)

wtf!

I defensively explained to him - bukan Encik, kereta tu dah lama kat luar kena hujan dan panas, cat dia terkopek. (No, the car was left under the sun and rain and the paintwork has been peeled off)

Ahh, they got it now.

OK, Encik boleh masuk ke dalam bawak motor Encik sekali.

Terima Kasih.

The guard was shirtless (Sunday lah pulak) - not a good sight though.

Saya nak masuk nak ambik gambar je Encik. (I only intend to enter the workshop and take pictures (of the car))


It is my intention to record every step of the restoration process.

I recorded the restoration of the 600 quite well, I think. At least the judges at the Concours were impressed. For this new baby, I want to have a relatively more detail records - hopefully I have the time for that.

My intention, not only to take pictures of the newly acquired Italian beauty, but also to scrutinize in detail the actual condition of the car. I didn't have time to look at the details yesterday as the weather was too HOT!

Here are some photos and my initial observations.


Mainly the body, even though the paint-job has been peeled away by extreme to weather and elements, David convinced me that it's OK - because we are going to sandblast the paint layer (or any layer, for that matter) to bare metal. Then we can analyze in detail how severe the body is.

From our initial observations, the problem is NOT skin-deep. Thank God!











Italian Coupe in the re-making. The shape of a classic!


I like the view from this angle. Looks like a baby Ferrari.


You can see how bad the body is, with peeling paint-job and corrosion every.


Rear engine, rear wheel drive.


Flat tire (small problem!)
Missing nut (Small problem too, I hope)




Flirtatious eyes.





If you look closely, the interior is very nicely designed. Please ignore the steering wheel. That is not original. The front seats are collapsible for easy access to the rear part of the cabin. Quite neat for something designed circa 1960s.


Look at the rear seat! I love it




The fins - to ventilate the heat from the engine. Very unique looking.



Chrome knob - push it gently and the back rest of front seats are collapsible.




The hinges are chrome - I like! It shiny but still very stylish and extremely subtle.


Vanity mirror.
Even some of today high end Japanese sports cars do not have it. Fiat 850 Coupe 1967 got it! Woo Hoo!



This steering is not original. Michael still do not understand why I don't like the steering. He loves it. I hate it.
David has sourced an old wooden steering for me. I like!



Bro!
Top speed 100 MPH ok.
That's about 160kmh!



The logo is still there. This is one of the most difficult part to get. David and I are so glad to find this. We have been loking for the 600 logo high and low - almost impossible.
So this one is still in good shape. It just need a bit of polishing and touch-ups.





The chrome knob to fold the seat - access to rear passengers.



Check out the handbrake. It chrome! What a beautiful Italian detailing.




The front bonnet is for battery, spare tire and luggage compartment. I like it. Like the 911s.
The tire, besides a spare, also function as shield and as weight compensator to keep the front part of the car on the ground at high speed.




The cabin - classic bucket seats.


The funnel of the fuel tank located in the engine compartment. The actual tank is behind rear passenger seat.



The 843cc rear engine.

Note the 4 exhaust pipes on the left.



The badge us still in good condition. Just need a bit of polishing.




All the mechanisms are still in good order.



Rubber needs replacement.

Generally the car, 42 year's old car is relatively in good condition. David and I are confident this is going to be a fun project for both of us. David think he can get it done in 6 months. I hope we can.

My aim is to get this baby completed for the next Concours.

Wish us luck!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

i think u are crazy!

at the same time, cant wait to see it transformed! Transformers! will it be like bumble bee?

and of course, GOOD LUCK! Gambatte Kudasai!

shemeq said...

pretty:

i think i am

thanks ;-)

M