Monday, December 24, 2007

♥@ 1st sight - 06

Once bitten twice shy.

This time around, I am determined to carefully in choose the workshop to restore the little FIAT. I have learned from that bastard who was supposed to do up the Morris Minor years ago. Until today, after a couple of Chinese New Years later (you see, I was promised completion CNY 2005!) the car is like an old metal carcass  in Bentong. 

I gave up.

One day i am going to need my bouncer to teach him a lesson!

Razip inspecting the engine - it's at the back of the car. My brother call it "spare engine" as if the one in the front (which never exist anyway) was missing.

I did some homework, browsed to the net, made some calls. Finally, I landed on Torino Auto Industries Sdn Bhd - authorized distributor of FIAT in Malaysia. My primary concerns are to get the right people to do the job. Right people meaning technically capable individuals to handle old cars and also resourceful enough to source for the spare-parts.
 
I am lucky. I met 2 individuals at Torino Auto. Razip is passionate about engine (esp. old ones) - his favourite past time after work is to look and appreciate old engines. Another one is David - he has 2 units of fully restored FIAT 600D. He knows where to source for the parts. Both are passionate! 

BINGO!


with its cousin - younger, sleeker, faster - Coupe Turbo




Most of the young mechanics were fascinated by the simple nature of the engine and compare to what FIAT has today. I was impressed with the innovations then which evolved into the current Coupe Turbos, Brava etc...

The car attracted so much attention and people gave me all sorts of suggestions on how to work on the car. I am not a car expert, hence I have to trust these people. I have a good feeling they are capable.


Razip: I like old cars, especially the Fiat. It a simple basic engine. After work I can just look at the engine and appreciate how is done and its simple mechanism.




"so, thats how they did it in then...."




I wished I had the time to restore it with them. Based on my furniture restoration days, I am quite sure I will enjoy doing it bit by bit. Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of time.

So, I leave it to the good hands of a couple of enthusiasts, with passion, at Torino Auto.

****** fingers crossed******

No comments: