Thursday, March 22, 2007

Pura Luhur Ulu Watu


The temple of Ulu Watu is an important temple to the spirit of the sea located along the south coast of Bali. Javanese priest Empu Kuturan established the temple here. Another Javanese priest Nirartha added more sections of the temple. He was the same priest who is known for seafront temples at Tanah Lot, Rambut Siwi and Pura Sekanan. (I haven't been to these ones yet.)

Nirartha retreated to Ulu Watu for his final days, when he attained moksa (freedom from earthly desires).


A Balinese tour guide



A Balinese man just completed his prayer at the Pura Luhur Ulu Watu




A lot of resident monkeys. Visitors are advised to take care of their belongings including their eyeglasses. I actually saw a monkey grabbed a pair of glasses belonged to a visitor.



A Japanese couple posing on a platform with deep steep drop. For those who wear shorts, they are required to wear purple sarong to cover their knees. Everybody has to tie a yellow cloth around their waist as a symbol to respect the temple.



Pura Luhur Ulu Watu, shot from the site where kecak is normally performed.



Pura Luhur Ulu Watu



The waterfall is NOT there everyday. Only when it rains. This is one of my favourite pics from this trip.



I purposely used lower shutterspeed so that I can get a silky finish for the flowing water fall and the waves against the rocks. Reminded me a lot of the Twelve Apostles near Melbourne.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful....I've booked my ticket already in May....off to Ubud and Sanur this time....I need to get my butt out from Sanur heh ;)

StaRshOOter said...

i tak sempat pergi Ulu watu last time...

Will definitely go the next time!

Anonymous said...

I am jealous of you. I always wanted to take up photography as a hobby but to spend RM4-5k on something I suck at is too costly. By the way, your photos are awesome.

Since I have lost the mileage and turned into The Michelen Man of late, my mind has been corrupted by Boons to buy his BMC bike. It will breathe new life to my hobby or so he said. But how do I hide it from my gf?? The colours on the bike mirrors the swiss flag. Damn.

Sign,
The King & I.

shemeq said...

nisa & starshooter:

when u r in ubud, please have at least one dinner at Bebek Bengil. The most beautiful restaurant in the WORLD

shemeq said...

The King & I:
Never to late to start. I just started too. Less than a year and has been very rewarding.

Trade in one of your fully carbon campag record equipped bikes, you can get a nice body and lense.