Tuesday, June 13, 2006

tribal beauty


With brass rings around her neck, she is the symbol of beauty in her tribe.

I politely asked for her permission for this picture to be taken. She’s very shy. She hardly spoke to tourists. In return I bought some handicraft made by the tribal community. I think I got a silver bong for a friend who likes to smoke weed.




I was told the brass rings actually distort the growth of their collarbones and make them look as if they have long necks - which they don't.

The row of brass rings does not actually stretch their necks. In fact it squashes the vertebrae and collar bones. A woman generally has about twenty or more rings around her neck. This neck ring adornment is started when the girls are 5 or 6 years old.




A friend from Versaille once told me. There is a saying in French; it takes a lot of pain to be beautiful.

Is that beauty to you?

2 comments:

ilaiy said...

I saw a show in National Geography which showed how they get these in .. Really amazing ..

./thanks
ilaiy

shemeq said...

more interesting to see them in their habitat, their way of life, their surrounding.i think life to them is a lot simpler...