Thursday, June 22, 2006

Malaysians ARE rude

I was on a flight to Kuantan. A smiling stewardess handed me the newspaper.

Headline of the day: THIRD RUDEST CITY

I could not agree more because I think many Malaysians are just plain rude. Rude!

Even the mat sallehs are a lot more polite.

I went to school in the French province of Quebec. I was one of the few Asian students in the whole province of Quebec who look different and hardly speak any French than rest of the Francophone community.

Yet, every time, and I mean every time, I took the bus to school, the driver without fail would greet “Bonjour Monsieur!” “Çava?” and I would respond “Çava bien, merci” and “Salut!” before I get off the bus. With a smile. These are orang putihs who never claimed they were polite bunch of people and proud of their polite traditions.

And we are supposed to be Malaysia, Truly Asia .….

As if!

Do the bus drivers greet you here?

Only this morning before I board the aircraft, as usual I need to show my ID. The ground crew requested for my ID just by saying: “Ada IC?”

Excuse me! Where are the P’s and the Q’s?

I shall stop here before I waste my time talking about the government servants (Immigration Department, oh my God!), the KL drivers and the waiters at the mamaks. (OK those waiters might not be Malaysians, but still!)

What have happened to us?

No comments: