Saturday, February 28, 2009


I visited Pulau Duyong to talk to some experts in boat making. Pulau Duyong is actually an island in the middle of Sungai Terengganu strategically located for regional trading activities.



The technology of boat making started long time ago. Terengganu used to trade with Siam (Thailand) and Kemboja (Cambodia).



Even my great grandfather was a “nahkoda” before. He sailed deep inside Siam and Kemboja to trade. The local (Terengganu) “exported” jungle products to Siam and they brought back things like salt back to Terengganu.



After a couple interview with the subject matter experts (a Malay Pakcik – Haji Abdullah – fondly known as Pok Loh and a French Lady – Ruhani Longuet) I captured this before I reached my car.

This old man seemed contented, satisfied puffing away.

He couldn’t be happier, I thought.



*credit: the four pics of Perahu Besar belongs to
Ruhani Longuet and her husband, Awi.

No comments: