Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bro & Sis


No, I am not talking about my bunch of close friends.

I am talking about my very own brothers and sisters.

I come from a big family of 8 and then my late father later married a lady who already had 6 grown up children. We could have literally had a football team – better than the corruption laden national football team – I will be the kaki bangku water boy.

I don’t want to talk about the 6 although I am very close to one of the 6.

I want to talk about my immediate 8, my brothers and sisters – by blood.



I have to admit, we were not that close as brother and sisters when we were young – mainly because of the vast age gaps between us. Hence, we all have our own set of good friends. However, interesting ly, in many occasions the friends we have came from the same families – you know like my good friend’s brother is my brother’s good friend and his sister is my sister’s good friend. That sort of thing.

Since a long time ago, since our parents were still around, coming from Terengganu, our family has been quite political. I think this is typical Terengganu. More often than not, everybody has a flag pasted on his / her forehead. Either you are a PAS or BN supporter.

That applies (still does) to our family too.

Our family sort of “divided” into 3 political groups. PAS, BN and “unsure” or “couldn’t care less”.

Sorry, DAP doesn’t really exist in Terengganu. They Chinese are mostly MCA supporters, until the last election where a significant number of them voted for PAS.

Hey, it a democracy!



When my father was still around – actually even now, we still have political debates over dinner table, or when we have dinner on the floor on tikar mengkuang when balik kampung.

I don’t belong to any parties but I do express my independent views on issues I strongly believe in.

Sometimes I think I am quite versatile and my siblings accept that. (I think they do!)

My sister in law did throw a remark once.
“M tu, in KL dia orang BN, balik Tganu, dia jadi orang PAS.”
Half true!

I am running a little business. I have to be apolitical. Especially in Terengganu – because we never know who will rule next.

But I have to say, I really know how to suck up to both sides – in a business / professional way – Nak hidup braderrr!.

That’s why, even though there was a change of governments, my rapport with both sides, I have to say, are still good.

May be I am a closeted politician in my own little world.

Nuff about me, back to my family.



Yes, politically our family is kinda divided.

However, the Malay proverbs - “Air dicincang, tak akan putus- applies here big time!. We have different political views but we are still a strong family unit.

I just got an sms from my brother saying that he just got a job, apart from his very own merit, our elder brother actually did pull some strings to open doors – the rest were the decision of the board. What you know and who you know thingy.

I sms-ed our elder brother

“you got K a job at the P?”

His answer was (and I was not at all surprised)

“Yes, ginilah.. tolong adik adik. Semua kerana mu UMNO

I rolled my eyes, almost puked on the leather daybed.

He ain’t heavy, he’s my brother……

Lke in other occassion, when it comes to helping each other, the political differences in the family just disappear.....




pix: no they are not my brothers - they are Moroccans.






No comments: