Monday, July 21, 2008


63 years ago, a boy was born into this world, in Parit, the heartland of Perak.

I only had the opportunity to meet him about 50 years later when he joined RB, and we became close ever since. He is like a father to me - my Bu numero 2.

I left RB briefly to try my luck doing my own little business with a friend. It went OK, but not good enough.

We met again at DZ’s wedding at Istana. He offered me to return to RB. After several phone calls from his secretary (who is my secretary now), I accepted to meet him. It was a long meeting and most of the time he talked about other things but work. The conversation evolved around mostly about bicycles and cycling, really.

I was reluctant to make a comeback, but since he agreed with my terms – I gladly accepted it.

I am glad a accepted it. It was a great almost 10 years experience working with him and my other mentor, TC.

He introduced me to cycling. Because of him, cycling become my passion. We rode
Kiara together and it is still my favorite cycling ground. He also introduced me to century rides when a bunch of us rode from Semenyeh to Kuala Kelawang and back to Semenyih and his wife DN provided us with support car and nasi lemak picnic by the river, Sungai Konkoi. It was a tough ride but a lot of fun, nevertheless. He was very much responsible in helping me developing my cycling passion - with that I was equipped to tour France on my bike (self support) twice!

In the office, he was my boss. The best boss ever. Always supportive, always ready to give me
guidance when I needed one.

We used to travel for work together quite a lot. We spent a lot of time in the plane and the car. We seldom talk about work. We normally talk about life and he is a man with endless stocks of dirty jokes.

I
remember once he asked me point blank:

M, have you tried marijuana?

(Eh, orang tua ni!) I was
caught off guard. When I hesitated to answer, of course he could tell whether I have or not. I have no choice but to say, reluctantly:

Yes.

To my surprise, he later on explained to me...

You know M, when you smoke marijuana and listen to the music, you can actually dissect the tune as you wish. If you want to listen only to the violin in an orchestra, you will be able to just listen to the violin only.

It is so true.... (haha!)

There were critical moments I shared with his family - was when he was hospitalized and had to undergo a bypass surgery. I was there with the whole family waiting for the procedure until it was completed. I was so worried. At one point we almost lost him as he experience
palpitations during the surgery. He was lucky as the doctor was experienced. We were so happy he went trough the procedure successfully.

Being stubborn old man, he still eat mutton especially when
DN is not around.

I still make a point to call him and meet him once in a while, in
Kuantan or KL. I had lunch with him last week. We had delicious ikan Kerai goreng. After the lunch, he want me to tell him in advance before I go to Kuantan next.

Why
DS?

I want to cook you nice juicy steak!

Yet, he is one of the most simple, humble and down to earth human being I have ever met and I am glad he is still my mentor, until today.

Today, DS is happily retired. He spend most of his time at his beach house in Kuantan, cycles and walk every morning, practices the guitar (classical and electric), keyboard, drums and cello. He cooks and also a passionate photographer.

Happy Birthday
DS.

May the blessing of Allah be with you, dunia & akhirat.


DS was the Joint Managing Director of Road Builder (M) Holdings Bhd, a wholly owned subsidiary of IJM Corporation Berhad. He was also the Chairman of RB Land Sdn Bhd and Executive Vice Chairman of Kuantan Port Consortium Sdn Bhd, both of which are related to Road Builder (M) Holdings Bhd. Before moving into the commercial field, he served in many senior positions with the Government of Malaysia. He had served as the Deputy Secretary General of the Ministry of Defense from 1986 to 1987, Deputy Secretary General of the Ministry of National & Rural Development from 1988 to 1990, State Secretary of the State of Negeri Sembilan from 1990 to 1993, State Secretary of the State of Perak from 1993 to 1995 and then as the Secretary General of the Ministry of Youth & Sports from 1995 to 1996.


3 comments:

StaRshOOter said...

eh...He is my friend's father...Small world ehh!

shemeq said...

starshooter:
oh really? who is yr friend? nadia? or farah? or one of the boys? small world!

shemeq said...

starshooter:

did u go to their raya open houses. i am always there from the start to the end. perhaps we have met.. haha