Tuesday, August 07, 2007

D&E

I went out for dinner with D&E the other night, at the Emporium, Sukhumvit, pretty near Soi 39.

I met D in KL. We have RS, our common friends. I thought it would be good to catch up since in am in town. I was quite touched, besides his busy schedule, the fact that he just arrived from abroad and braving Bangkok jam, he insisted to buy me dinner and even offer me to go for a massage. I politely decline the massage invitation as I already had my daily massage.

After dinner, D&E invited me for coffee.

Yeah, but where?

STARBUCKS!

What???

I insisted them to take me to the local Thai coffee place. It’s like our Kopitiam but with wi-fi and all. Nice place! And the coffee was good and strong (I had problem going to bed later)

I am always curious about people, especially those who come from different background, values and culture.. Even sexuality.

Over a cup (or glass rather, served with another glass of hot tea to wash the throat after) we had a long chat, changing ideas and experience.

D is a Thai. Early 30s, born and raised in Bangkok. He and the family own a business in fashion industry, hence the regional traveling he has to do. Used to work in the airlines, graduated from an Australian university. Being in the airlines upon graduation, he has pretty much traveled the world before working for the family.

2 things, to my opinion, are outstanding about him and to me they are big deals.

ONE:
He, believe it or not, believes in long distant relationship. His other half is in Hong Kong and they only meet about once in 2 months. I still cannot understand that.

TWO:
He volunteers. He goes to the orphanage every 2 weeks, just to play around with the children. He has been doing that for years and he enjoys it. To him, it is just one of his contributions to give back to the society. That is very noble, I thought…

E is quite an interesting individual too. They are good friends, since Australian days. Also worked in the airlines before. He is now working for a car auction company. At the same time, he is also a radio DJ and he also owns a travel company that organizes holidays within Thailand to the locals. It has been successful and the website will be up soon.

There I was, a 40 years old bloke listening to these younger Thai gentlemen about their experience and aspiration. I like their positive outlook in life, their business aspiration and their contribution to their own society. Not only they are enterprising, they are also sensitive and caring.

Is it a Thai thing? I don’t know…

But they are, from what I gathered, quite gentle and forgiving people. It’s their own version of “tidak apa” attitude, meaning very tolerant. That’s why a lot of “farang” (mat sallehs) abuse them.

Enterprising? Yes, they are. At every corner in Bangkok, even in Chiangmai and other parts of Thailand, you can see there will be men, women or children sell all sort of things. In actual fact I think, it is quite difficult to find unemployment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey..glad to know you are back...You know, it is a Thai thing...my jewelery biz partnership is with Thai ppl...somehow the good ones will go all the way to help you out locally and internationally..anyways, i might be moving on from the current place - see how it goes lah ...let's catch up soon! take care!

Anonymous said...

my ex thai gf dumped me for a thai. bloody bitch. i didnt drink singha for 5 yrs in protest.

(but i still keep her signed photo in the old drawer at my mom;s)

shemeq said...

nisa: tell me about yr new bizz when we meet. come to midvals, my office is there.... i got nice view

zain: coming back in kiara? tak der nampak your knobby prints along the twinpeaks climb?