Sunday, August 17, 2008


An afternoon with Razak Abdullah

TT introduced me to an artist who I should have already known.

The fact that Razak Abdullah is from Terengganu, already gave a dose of excitement.

After attending the launch of his Potraits of Bidong at Galeri Chandan, Bukit Damansara, I requested TT to arrange to meet Razak personally, to find out more about the Red Box series.

As unfortunate as always I have this tendency to fall in love with a piece that is NOT for sale. (I didn’t even know it was not for sale in the first place).

It happened again.

I am not hunting for anything, but, if there is an affordable piece of Terengganu worth collecting, I would go for it!



I met Uncle Razak today in the comfort of his apartment surrounded by wonderful pieces kept by the family. We spend more than 2 hours and Iafter several Q&A’s we found out, we are related and he termed me as “anak beranak”.

Now in his 50’s, a scuba diver, Razak explained to me passionately about each of his work in great detail. He can still remember vividly the days when he painted those pieces like the smell of the place, the humidity of Terengganu beaches and rivers, the texture of the sand and the whole ambience absorbed by all his senses translated into beautiful impressions.

I was told by an artist in Bangkok before that if I like a painting, and if I can afford it – take it. With that in mind I have collected several and they are on my walls now. I still love them everyday, everyday.



I know I can love one of Razak’s Red Box series everyday, everyday.

The Red Box that I want is not for sale.

He offered me one of the old family collections, the Monsoon Series, which he does not offer to anybody just for “anak beranak”.

A beautiful piece depicting a Terengganu fishing boat (a subject I love even in photography) at a location I am quite familiar with (Kuala Ibai).



I love the piece, almost vivid under soft spotlight. I am still thinking about it.

Next week, one of his painting will be acquired by the National Art Gallery as national treasure – after which the price of his collections will be appreciated significantly.



pix: wordpress.com/tag/razak-abdullah/

No comments: