Thursday, January 22, 2009


Bon Voyage sis!

She’s my younger sister.

We used to watch our favorite cartoons and sitcom together when were kids. We had fun until all of us wer sent to boarding schools.

We used to have cats named Oren and Sarsi - because of the color of their fur. She even named ne of our cats "Krinton". Non of us (not even her) knows what it means and why.....

Life changed after that, and growing up took a shift - as life progressed as we all have to grow up some day.

We (all in the family) only met during school holidays, during breaks from boarding schools.

By then we have our own set of friends. When we got home for school holidays, we all missed our mates in school and couldn’t wait to go back to the hostels with friends who grew up in one campus for at least 5 years.

We became close again when we all graduated and have decent jobs. The glue between us of course our mom who always, without failed, cooked us nasi lemak the first day of term break at home.

She, unfortunately didn’t really have a good marriage that ended up in a divorce. It was not a bad divorce and she got the custody to “keep” my lovely niece.

About a week ago my sister left for the States to further her study.

We all went to the airport to wave her good bye.

I couldn’t hold my tears when I watched her walking hand in hand with her daughter approaching the immigration counter.

Then I realized how strong and determined my younger sister is.

In her young age (relatively) almost single handedly brings up a child with out a husband at the same time juggling her carrier and still determined to get her dream PhD.

I have always been protective over her.

After saying good bye to her, I realized how I admire and care about her.

Admire her determination.

Care about her and my niece.

For the past few days I have been getting a series of sms from her. Just as I thought, she is coping very well. Within a week she’s found a decent house (with automatic gate, she stressed) and already bought a car.

I know in 4 years time she’s going to come back with a scroll of her dreams and my niece Alyssa would experience 4 years of foreign education which no doubt will be a major part of her growing up years.

I pray for their wellbeing in a land far far away from home.

I am quite sure they will both be okay, InsyaAllah.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Relax lah Bro... Didn't know that you're quite a softie at heart. Keep up the good work.

Jasnijaal

Anonymous said...

so sweet of u. I wish i still hv a brother. I lost mine 11 years ago. I think he is your age...

Unknown said...

as a woman, i think all woman are amazing! ;-)

but to raise a child on ur own, yes, it needs determination and strength.

Emir's Dad said...

I love this post! U can really be a good writer or even a novelist perhaps. U chose the right words to conjure that sad feelings in the readers. Keep up the writings. I know how your sister felt upon arrival in a foreign land. I too was faced with much hardship and challenges, mentally and emotional, upon arrival, but as time goes by, things got better. I am sure ur sister is doing very very well with her daughter now!

shemeq said...

Dear Emir's Dad,

Thank you.

She is well now, concentrate on her PhD.

I also reminded her not to forget to have fun.

I was away too in the foreign land before. I am glad I had that opportunity - it's a chapter my life. One of the best time in my life.