Thursday, November 15, 2007

WELCOME TO KRABI - SAWASDEE



After waiting for some friends to decide where to go for a birthday (not mine!) getaway, ended with no conclusion, I decided not to let Deepavali long weekend to pass by uneventful.

Indecisiveness leads to disappointment. I have learned.



But hey, I can make my own plans hence the hard to come by free long weekend does no go to waste.

After contemplating over a couple of affordable destinations, I ended up in Krabi. And I am glad I did.

TRAVEL TIP: Check out Air Asia holiday packages, they have good deals. And of course – BOOK EARLY!

I was a skeptic for a moment upon arrival at the newly completed Krabi International Airport as it was raining. I thought the monsoon on this side of the coast has just ended? But, after being greeted by typical warm and polite Thai hospitality, I know my 3 days / 4 nights beach holiday was going to be great.

TRAVEL TIP: 3D/4N is a good span. Not too long, not too short either.



Before I realized it, I was already in a brand new Honda Civic airport limo with soft English songs in the background and a copy of FLYER (free Krabi megazine / guide) in my hand. A very handy monthly publication - informative background info and planning materials in your hand while enjoying the 20 minutes taxi ride from the airport to the hotel.

























Since I got a good deal from Air Asia holiday package, I decided to splurge a bit by requesting for a room upgrade. A room with the swimming pool and a private jaccuzi (you can even skinny deep if you want to!) right at he edge of the balcony. Even the towels are folded, origami style, into elephants.
























TRAVEL TIP: Add a few more holiday dollars per night and you can get a fantastic room with a view and a pool!





After unpacking, I hit the street straight away to browse through local scenes, with rich colorful handicrafts, shops and of course the restaurants along Ao Nang beach overlooking the Andaman sea with fantastic view of rock formation islands which are uniquely Krabi.





Just like my Bangkok trips, I had the Tom Kagai for lunch – after the first spoonful of the coconut base soup… ahhhhh I am in Thailand again.




Despite the wet welcome at the airport, the weather throughout the trip was perfect. It was quite fun to browse along Ao Nang beach people watching while sipping a cup of coffee or enjoying sugar-free banana split.






Along the street there were people carving soaps into fine colorful sweet smelling flowers and other crafts and arts. Trust me, he prices are very reasonable as long as you know how to use your negotiation skill.






TRAVEL TIP: Compare prices first and then chop the price by 50% and slowly work your way up. You will get a good deal. Control yourselves. Don’t make it too obvious you are crazy about the t-shirts, or sandals, handicraft etc. You can always go to the next shops.





Typical Thai and their food, they are just delicious. The Thais are very adventurous. You can get endless way of seafood dishes cooked in different style. They are fresh and CHEAP! An equivalent of RM20 per person, you can have a sumptuous dinner for 2.



TRAVEL TIP: Before ordering your seafood, bargain first. The stall next door can be 20% cheaper. Trust me! Negotiate before they grill that succulent red snapper!




















After a nice dinner and a series of bargaining and haggling, we went for a nice nightcap before we ended the day… a 60 minutes foot massage. So good, I dozed off. I was informed later that I was snoring.


No comments: