Sunday, November 18, 2007

Tsunami? He was there.



The guide who took us island hopping was there at Ao Nang beach when Tsunami hit the coast of Thailand on boxing day of 2004. I remember I was in Istanbul at that time only learned about the catastrophy when I returned to my room.

The boatman, who is also a guide told me his first hand tsunami experience. He actually saw the 8 meter wave approaching Ao Nang beach and ran for his life. When the wave returned to the see, he saw about 3 long tail boats and 1 big dive boat struggling their way to shore. Unfortunately the current was too strong all the boats disappeared together with their passangers and divers. I can tell from his expression that he was so affected by the huge wave. He is very lucky to be alive.

To the guide, Ao Nang beach is a lucky beach compared to Phuket and others, which were totally destroyed.




"I will always operate in Krabi. I believe Ao Nang beach is a lucky beach. It was mildly hit by tsunami compared to other beaches. The most damage we had only flood in the office about knee level. It's lucky here. I do not see myself to live else where"

No comments: