Sunday, February 17, 2008

Yusoef de Fes El Bali




I noticed him everyday manning his little shop that sells some kind of pastry. Breakfast or dinner, he’s there. I think I saw an old man once besides him, probably his grand father.

What attracted me about this boy is the way he carries himself while running his or his family little business. Very attentive and hard working. He moves and talks like an adult and his expression means business yet very friendly and warm. I overheard one day his neighbor called him Yusoef (a name he shares probably with 2 million of his countrymen / boys.

One day I passed by on the way back to the hotel after dinner while he was busy cleaning up before closing him little patisserie and in passing I greeted him… “Yusoef! Cava?” He smiled and replied “Oui, merci!” and after that wondered or possibly impressed how the hell this Asiatique know his name. He gave his more than his usual adult smile.

Since he is at the stall most of the time, I wonder whether his family can afford to give him proper education or he is the breadwinner of the family….

Part of me feels sad but on the second thought, at least he has enough to eat and clean. Unlike those children I saw in Mandalay and Yangon.

No comments: