Monday, September 25, 2006

Duyong, the last frontier?

These could possibly be the last generation of the traditional boat builders of Terengganu we will ever see should their knowledge and skills are not preserved.

To me, they are artisans with unique skills we can’t find else where but from our very own backyard.

I was sad when I look at them as I know for a fact that that they do not get paid much for their skills and passion.



This financial factor is the barrier of entry for younger generations to take up the skills and preserve it.

With unique boat building and construction techniques, this could very well put Duyong in the map of boat building world.



It is sad really. The people of Terengganu had been great seafarers in the region for centuries. They have been trading with the regional kingdoms using the boats made with their own hands, based on their very own knowledge and skills, using their very own local materials and inspirations to conceive such beautiful pieces of arts that expand Terengganu horizon into the regional trade then.

My very own grand father was a Nakhoda before.

When my father was young, he used to follow my grand father to sail even to Chiang Mai!

Unfortunately, if you go to Duyong today, the only person who is passionate and doing something about preserving the traditional boat making is Christoph Swobada.....a German.



I admire his passion and perseverance. I know for sure he will get the boat completed and it is going to be a beautiful Made in Terengganu boat. By then, a lot of people will take credits out of it…..

No comments: