Sunday, June 15, 2008

MIMOSA FAMILY @ JAKARTA

In the midst of Jakarta chaotic traffic, slums and high-rises that sprawl uncontrollably, wild nightlife and political demonstrations, there is an organized bunch of interesting people who belong to Mimosa family. The original group originates from Jalan Mimosa in Jakarta, a common residence to its brothers and sisters. They are RAN’s “extended family”, a special bunch with deep embedded spirit of friendship.


A part from the typical hello, we discover each other through exchanging ideas and opinions and experience. In at least 3 solid hours we talked about politics, religion, sexuality, friendship, family, travel, work, economy and other things. It was just very stimulating exchanging ideas with interval jokes and wits yet with a lot of substance. (trust me, we only had countless cups of Javanese tea with is served with gula batu.) I enjoy exploring people and their personality this way. It’s fun, and it’s frank and definitely one of the best ways to get to know each other and naturally develop friendship.



I for once realize, despite claims this originated from Indonesia and that originated from Malaysia, there are a lot of similarities in our culture (surprise, surprise) as I constantly remind myself and my friends that we are from Satu Rumpun – the same root.


On the other hand, their values and mindset are quite different than ours, especially when we talk about politics and religion. I am not going to elaborate here, and definitely I am not in the position to judge as I respect people for who they are and I am very open about it. But I do express my point of view about things and they certainly do not have to agree with me. Most importantly, we had stimulating time exchanging our thoughts and that was quite an exceptional observation about new things and about other people who live in totally different cities.


I bought 2 books (Jakarta, Jayakarta, Batavia by Bali Purnati and Belantara Jakarta by Herve Dangla) both books have got great photography work on Jakarta and also a brief history of the city. Skimming through the books when I was on the plane makes me think about my newly found friends who I left behind in ONE city which occupied by almost the whole Malaysian population (in terms of numbers) and to them, Singapore is just a little Red Dot, I began to understand further where they’re coming from – so to speak.


We, Malaysians (yes, kill me for saying this, but I strongly stand by my opinion) are rather – relatively – narrow minded when it comes to the way we look at others – our views on different ethnic backgrounds, faiths, political alliances, customs and heritage.



I cherish and can certainly relate to them as I also have my very own “Mimosa Family @ Kuala Lumpur".

Like my Mimosa Family @ Kuala Lumpur, typical close knit group of people would have their own group dramas with facebook and mikrolet, repectively!

Like me, RAN is blessed with a bunch of great people he calls friends.


pics:

Jakarta's colonial past in this 19th-century restored building Café Batavia, Taman Fatahillah offers one of Jakarta's best dining experiences in an unequaled historic setting - open 24 hours.

You should stop and at least have a cup of tea upstairs overlooking the vibrant and photographers swamped- Fatahillah Square and the old Stadhuis or City Hall.

Go check out the kamar kecil and then have a cuppa while talking about LIFE!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a lovely place ~ a swankier version of our Coliseum ...

btw is RAN and IN the same person ? your acronyms keep changing dear ...

;-D

shemeq said...

red planet:

yes

yes